This 5 ingredient eggless pancakes recipe is made using buckwheat flour which is a fantastic source of plant based protein as well as being gluten free. The secret ingredient that is used to replace the eggs is a banana! And at a measly £0.59 ($0.74) per serving (5 pancakes), you can have your (pan)cake and eat it! These delicious and filling vegan pancakes are also nut free and dairy free.
(This post contains affiliate links which means I make a small commission if you the purchase the products through my website.)
About a year ago, I was starting to feel anxious whenever the weekend would start approaching. As a mum of four kids, with three of them being in school/nursery, Saturday would come knocking on my door with no respite and no lie ins. Just four kids who are very awake and high on life at 6:30am which, I’m sure all parents around the world would unanimously agree, is not my ideal of rest.
So to turn my anxiety around, and to stop the kids from asking us every 5 minutes what the plan for the weekend was, I figured that I needed to make Saturday mornings something to celebrate and look forward to. Kind of like being on holiday. And when I think of holiday, second thing that comes to mind is the continental breakfast vibe at hotels (because the first thing is beach or pool and that’s just not gonna happen here in London, not in winter anyway!). And this is the story of how Pancake Saturday was birthed.
Now if you’ve never dabbled with buckwheat flour before, you may find that it has a distinct and nutty taste which I absolutely love. Buckwheat flour is not only gluten free but it’s also a really good source of protein. So as you’re enjoying this delectable eggless pancake stack you’re practically building muscle. It’s totally like a body sculpting sesh at the gym. You heard it here first.
My favourite way of serving this eggless pancakes recipe is by making three times the amount in the recipe below (we ARE a family of 6 after all, plus I like to have some leftover for the next morning), and piling all 30 of them on a big platter, served alongside some eggs, berries and some kind of sweet sauce like honey, maple syrup or homemade chocolate sauce like this chocolate almond butter. Add a cup of freshly brewed coffee on the side for the grown ups and it’s demolished by all 6 of us in a flash.
And since it’s made with wholemeal buckwheat flour, they’re pretty filling and can keep you going quite easily till lunch. Another filling breakfast recipe worth checking out is this peanut butter and banana overnight oats.
I got so many comments on Instagram about these pancakes that I ended up starting a Pancake Saturday club so people can make them with us! So why don’t you join us and make your own and tag me @earthandspoon using #enspancakesaturday! The more the merrier me thinks!
Buy the ingredients below!
5 Ingredient Eggless Pancakes Recipe
These eggless pancakes are a healthy and family friendly alternative to traditional pancakes.
Makes: 10 pancakes
- 140g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
- 250ml (1 cup) oat milk, or plant based milk of your choice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- A pinch of sea salt
- In a blender, add the oat milk, banana, buckwheat flour, vanilla, baking powder and cinnamon in that order to avoid clumping and blend until a smooth pancake batter forms.
- Add some of the coconut oil to a large frying pan and over medium heat, pour the pancake batter into palm sized circles and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for another 1-2 minutes and then place them onto a cool plate, repeat until the batter is finished.
- Now the fun part! Stack the pancakes and add whatever toppings you like such as sliced bananas, berries, raw honey or pure maple syrup, seeds, crushed nuts, nut butter or chocolate sauce, the sky’s the limit! Serve with freshly brewed coffee for a divine encounter.